gain muscle

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Super Slow - My Secret Workout For Gaining Muscle Mass

Ok, in my opinion, this is one of the BEST workouts I have ever done. There are a few reasons why I absolutely love this workout routine. First off, it is quick. Generally you can do a full workout in under an hour (that means that if I arrive at the gym at 5:00, I am on my way home by 6:00). Anyways, I also like it because you only have to do it twice a week. The final reason why I like this method is simple; It will give you results. This routine is perfect for anybody who wants to gain muscle mass. I would not recommend this for somebody who just wants to lose weight. But without further ado, let's get to how this works.

First off, the name "super slow" is kind of a hint as to what the routine entails. Basically, you are going to do a full body workout twice a week. During those two workouts, you are going to break down your muscles as much as you possibly can (safely of course). To accomplish this, you are only going to do ONE set of every exercise. During each set, you are going to do 4 to 6 reps with as much weight as you possibly can. For each repetition, you are going to do the exercise very slow (as in 8-10 seconds down and then 8-10 seconds up). On the final rep, you are going to go halfway up or down (depending on the exercise), and hold it there until you can't hold it any longer. When you get done with one exercise, immediately move to the next exercise without rest. You may take a few seconds to stretch a little, but don't start messing around. Ok, so now that we have the basic concept of the workout, lets get into what exercises I recommend doing.
  • Bench Press (Target Muscle = Chest)
  • Close grip bench (Target Muscle = Triceps)
  • Should Press (Target Muscle = Shoulders)
  • Squats (Target Muscle = Legs)
  • Lat Pulldowns (Target Muscle = Back)
  • Bicep Curls (Target Muscle = Biceps)
Now, these are very generic exercises, and in my next few posts, I am going to go into a little more detail on how this particular system can be molded to suit anybody. For right now, these are the only exercises that I am going to tell you about with this routine (I will also go over abs in a later post, but they are very important as well). As far as how these are performed, it really doesn't matter. The bicep curls and shoulder press can be done on a machine, with barbells or with dumbells, and they all work perfectly fine. The main point is to perform each exercise once, doing the exercise VERY slow and not stopping to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment